Holiday Safety Tips for your pet
The holidays are upon us! It's a wonderful time to share with family and guests, but let's not forget about our furry family. With all the yummy smells, beautiful decorations and Christmas presents around the house, pets may be tempted to get in on the action too! Here are a few safety tips and reminders to keep your pet safe this holiday season.
- The guests are on their way and you're busy cleaning your house. Be sure to keep cleaning agents away from pets. They can harm pets in many ways from being poisonous if swallowed to burning their eyes and skin.
- Place holiday plants off the ground. That poinsettia might look beautiful next to the fireplace, but it's safer up high on the mantel or table. Holly, mistletoe, lilies and Christmas tree water can be toxic if ingested.
- Microchip your pet! Family and friends coming in and out of the house provide an open door for your pet to escape. Be sure to have a microchip placed and your pet's current ID tag on their collar for identification. Here at South Trail Animal Hospital, we can implant a microchip and register your pet with Home Again!
- Candles always look elegant and smell good too, but it's easy for a dog's tail to knock over a lit candle in a moment of excitement. Keep burning candles away from both cats and dogs.
- The Christmas tree looks beautiful with glass bulbs and tinsel, but to our four legged friends it looks fun to play in (or even nibble on). Keep all metal and glass ornaments, ribbons, and tinsel higher up on the tree at a safer distance. They can all be dangerous if swallowed.
- Although the Christmas tree is not poisonous, it still poses a hazard! It is important to prevent your pet from chewing on a live or artifical tree as the needles are sharp and can irritate the mouth and digestive tract if eaten. Use a pet barrier or child's playpen around the tree to help prevent your pet from getting too close to the tree.
- Now that all the presents are unwrapped, you are thinking about sitting back and relaxing. Wait! Before you do, be sure to put away the toys and clean up the packaging mess. Small plastic pieces and rubber balls are common causes of choking and intestinal blockage in dogs.
- The holidays can bring delicious smells and food to the house. As cute as your dog may look begging for a drumbstick or dressing don't give in! Fatty foods can cause stomach problems, while bones can cause obstructions or choking.
The holidays can be both fun and stressful. It can take a toll on you and your pet. Make sure to spend some quality time alone with your pets every day. This will allow you to observe them for any unusual behavior or symptoms, as well as enjoy their company and love!
The doctors and staff at South Trail Animal Hospital would like to wish you and your pets a safe and happy holiday!